Thursday, September 13, 2007

Helen

When God draws us to Himself, he calls us to a pilgrimage – one that lasts for the remainder of our lives here. Only when our physical bodies cease to live do we truly arrive home.

Our departure date for Europe hasn’t arrived, but my Camino experience began months ago. It has been a call to focus on God and reexamine everything in my life in light of His relationship with me: clean out, sort out, rethink my possessions, my time, my relationships.

What I’m learning is that I can let even God’s life callings distract me from this Lifelong Pilgrimage, so the opportunity to set out on a literal pilgrim trail for 30 days appeals to that part of me that longs to be closer to God.

This will not be a retreat to monastic solitude. Sometimes we will walk with others, sometimes we will walk alone. Whether we know it or not, all of us on the Camino seek God. The forgiveness, healing, unconditional love, wholeness, or oneness with our Creator people seek is what God uses to bring them to this pilgrimage. Some of us on the Camino will already be in a relationship with Him, some will meet Him as they walk, and some will sense an irresistible force that will prepare them to hear His next whisper of love. What a privilege to walk with all those God has brought here at this point in time. Perhaps He will work through us all, the community of the Camino, to testify to His love for us to one another. By His grace we will be open to give and receive.

We walk in the literal footsteps of saints known and unknown to us. Their devotion and faithfulness to His call sanctify this path. May He grace us with His presence in a special way here, there and forevermore as we journey on our Camino and on our Lifelong Pilgrimage with Him.

God’s grace and peace,
Helen