Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hunter

The Camino de Santiago is a 1200-year-old pilgrims’ trail across Spain to the fabled resting place of St. James. The completion of the last 100 kilometers is rewarded by a certificate that supposedly gets pilgrims out of half their Purgatory sentence. However, my parents (Wick and Helen) and I are going for the journey itself. God is gradually revealing the full impact of the trip to us.

When my parents first told me about the trip, my first thought was “Wow, we’re going to be in really good shape!” Sure enough, we’ve been getting as ready as we can by walking the Black Creek bike trail or going to the YMCA to use the treadmills (yes, in our packs!) Most recently, I went all the way down to Black Creek and back (16 miles), just a little under the average daily mileage we’ll need to walk the entire Camino in 25 days.

Another thought was “This will be a great opportunity to practice my Spanish!” I’ve been taking Spanish classes since fourth grade, but I have yet to truly think in Spanish. Though I have met a few people besides my teacher to speak with, I’ve never been immersed in the language. As far as immersion is concerned, this is the chance of a lifetime.

Further reflection revealed that the pilgrimage will be a distraction-free time to talk and listen to God. A month of quality time with Him is an exciting prospect for me, because I need His discernment for some decisions I have to make in the coming months. As a high school senior, I don’t have much longer to make a final choice about where I want to go to college. Also, over the past year God has given me the idea that He wants me to write, and I have been getting a few ideas for stories, but whenever I sit down to act on those ideas, I get side-tracked with something else. I’m hoping a month away from distractions will cure me of my tendency to give in to them.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I was only thinking of the benefits God would bring to my life through this trip. A recent sermon given by my pastor, Dr. Jon Shuler, however, opened my mind and eyes to the incredible ministry opportunity on the Camino. Dr. Shuler referred to the trail as a mission field, and through subsequent discussions with him and thought on my own I realized that everyone who walks the Camino is looking for God, whether they know it or not. Men and women from all over the world will be walking with us, consciously or unconsciously for the same reason we are, and what an exciting possibility it is that I might have the chance to help even one of them find what they are looking for!

This trip promises to be the most memorable experience of my life so far. I know that all three of us will take something away from it, and I look forward to sharing our memories with you all. God bless

- Hunter